Home Health Aide Training In Delaware

The State of Delaware does not require home health aides to be licensed. Does that mean home health aide training in Delaware is non-existent?

This article at Health Aide Training Center will tell you all you need to know.

First, there are both Federal and Delaware specific laws pertaining to certifying home health aides. The Federal laws are in place at Certified Medicare Facilities, also known as CMSs.

CMSs must employ certified home health aides, who meet the minimum Federal training requirements. The current training requirements are that all home health aides receive at least 75 hours of total training, including 16 hours of on the job training.

What Are The Federal Training Requirements

Instead of certifying home health aides, the State of Delaware certifies and approves of home health agencies. All home health aides in Delaware work for an approved agency.

Home health aides themselves are not licensed through the state. They’re only certified if they work at a CMS.

The State of Delaware has issued specific training requirements to home health agencies for the training of their home health aides. According to the State of Delaware’s website, home health agencies require their home health aides to complete at least one of the following:

  1. Has at least one year of practical experience in a Department licensed or approved hospital, nursing home, or home care setting; or
  2. Has satisfactorily completed an appropriate home care course which includes the training requirements contained within these regulations; or
  3. Is a student nurse pursuing a degree in nursing who has completed the clinical practicum portion of their training.

In addition, home health aide must pass a criminal and drug test.

Where To Find HHA Training In Delaware?

What options do home health aides have for training in Delaware?

The best place to start is with the home health agencies themselves. Many home health agencies provide state approved training at no cost. This is true for both CMSs and facilities that don’t accept Medicare. Therefore, to work as a home health aide for either type of home health aide agency, certification isn’t necessary required.

Your other option is to find a course at a local community college. The important thing here is to make sure the course is approved by the State of Delaware.


Leave a Reply